It's here. Summer has come at last. Every season has its own sights, sounds and smells. Let's enjoy summer as much as we can, starting with 5 things to do with each of the 5 senses. Can you think of even more summer things to sense?
- Look for fireflies in the evening.
- Watch for people mowing lawns.
- Watch for birds using a puddle or birdbath to bathe.
- Look for caterpillars.
- Watch for people sitting outside in the evening.
- Listen for insects calling in the evening.
- Listen for an ice cream truck.
- Listen to children playing outdoors after supper.
- Listen for cicadas calling in the heat of the day.
- Listen for lawn mowers.
- Eat some ice cream.
- Taste some lemonade.
- Taste some sweet corn.
- Eat a piece of fresh fruit - watermelon, strawberries and peaches are all summer fruits.
- Taste your favorite picnic food.
Touches and Textures
- Smell someone's barbecue.
- Smell a flower.
- Sniff the air near a pool or a beach.
- Smell a newly mowed lawn
- Smell a summer breeze.
- Feel a cool breeze blowing from a fan. Be careful not to get too close!
- Touch a lawn that is wet with early morning dew.
- Feel the sun on your skin, but don't get sunburned.
- Touch your face with a glass full of ice on a hot day.
- Feel a sidewalk with your bare foot